For sale is a charming pair of decorative Swiss 'folk art' carved figures of an elderly alpine farming couple from the circa 1930-1940.
- The figures are both well carved and realistic from the high quality craftspeople and recognised workshops of masters in Swiss woodcarving art Huggler-Wyss in Brienz. The couple are part of a classic old huggler tribe range based on individuals and characters noted from the town and on which these delicately carved linden wood carvings were modelled. They were sold from the early 20th Century. So each one is individually modelled.
- They are warmly painted and full of individual character. The man has his hands in his jacket pockets and the woman is holding a small bible under her arm and a handkerchief.
- He stands in his jacket over a painted waistcoat coloured in soft warm, earthy tones, with the contrast being his dark hat and square toed boots.
- Swiss folk art flat cut carvings have been producing in Brienz from 1900 onwards. Huggler-Wyss sculptors have been carvings figures in the classic Swiss style for generations. The origins of the Huggler-Wys carvings are from talented woodcarver Johann Huggler who became famous as the king of woodcarving of Brienz. He recognised the talent of his son Hans Huggler (1877-1947), In 1915 he also designed the first nativty scenes, using "real" people around him as his inspiration.
- The couple are shown in the last image a sales booklet from the 1930s as figures number 1 and number 2.
Free delivery in the UK as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees.
If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
Please fill in the information below