For sale is a beautiful large vintage hand woven Swedish 'agedyna' or carriage cushion / coverlet in original condition.
- The woven cushion cover has a beautiful geometric pattern reminiscent of rug patterns and design similar to kilim rugs from the middle east. This originated most likely from the Skåne Region of Sweden.
- It is in a lovely, impactful design of red, blue, green, yellow and pink, and shades of green, the reverse is open and has been used as a wall hanging or coverlet.
- Heart motifs are included within this textile and the other smaller one as part of the overall design motifs.
- The edge of the textile/cushion has continuous interspersed colours as a short fabric fringe to prevent wear to the edge, common to these cushions/coverlets in a traditional folk Scandinavian style.
- The woven material is wool on linen.
- The textile is initialed as NH from 1943 (the second smaller piece by the same individual from 1944 is also for sale from W&W Antiques).
- It is from the Skåne region, near Malmo, Sweden which has a strong folk tradition of woven textiles influenced both from migrant Flemish weavers from the low countries and Persian Kilim style rugs from the middle-east.
- The coverlet has small sewn loops on the reverse top corners.
This is a lovely, characterful Scandinavian textile made in the middle of WW2 and at 77 years of age in good condition.
It is in original condition and so does show signs of age-related wear as shown by the images.
If you are interested in both of the textiles together by NH please do get in touch.
Free delivery in the UK as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees.
If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.