For sale is a beautiful vintage hand woven Swedish 'agedyna' or carriage cushion / coverlet in original condition.
- The woven cushion cover has a beautiful geometric / floral pattern reminiscent of rug patterns and design similar to kilim rugs from the middle east. This originated most likely from the Skåne Region of Sweden.
- It is in lovely light green, red, blue, yellow and pink, and shades of green, the reverse is a plain blue green linen.
- The edge of the cushion has continuous interspersed colours as a short fabric fringe to prevent wear to the edge, common to these cushions/coverlets in a traditional folk Scandinavian style.
- The woven material is wool on linen.
- The textile is initialed as NH from 1944 (the second larger piece by the same individual from 1943 is also for sale from W&W Antiques).
- It is from the Skåne region, near Malmo, Sweden which has a strong folk tradition of woven textiles influenced both from migrant Flemish weavers from the low countries and the influences of Persian Kilim style rugs from the middle-east.
- The woven front surface is backed with original blue-green linen (in cushion form) but has not been stuffed and has been displayed as a wall hanging or coverlet for a bench or wooden chair with small sewn loops on the reverse corners.
This is a lovely, characterful Scandinavian textile made in the middle of WW2 and at 76 years of age in good condition.
It is in original condition and so does show signs of age-related wear as shown by the images.
If you are interested in both of the textiles together by NH please do get in touch.
Free delivery in the UK as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees.
If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
Please fill in the information below