For sale is a charming highly decorative folk art carving of an alpine farmer with a long-handle pipe from the mid 20th Century circa 1930/40s-1950/60s.
- The figure is very well carved and realistic from the high quality craftspeople and recognised workshops of masters in Swiss woodcarving art Huggler-Wyss in Brienz. He is part of a classic old huggler tribe range which these delicately carved native linden wood carvings were modelled on Swiss characters and sold from the early 20th Century. So each one is individually modelled.
- He stands in his jacket with a hand in his pocket, on a deep rectangular base and is coloured in soft warm, earthy tones, with the only contrast being his dark hat and square toed boots.
- Swiss folk art flat cut carvings have been producing in Brienz from 1900 onwards. Huggler-Wyss sculptors have been carvings figures in the classic Swiss style for generations. The origins of the Huggler-Wys carvings are from talented woodcarver Johann Huggler who became famous as the king of woodcarving of Brienz. He recognized the talent of his son Hans Huggler (1877-1947), In 1915 he also designed the first nativty scenes, using "real" people around him as his inspiration for the holy family, wise men, shepherds created for sale.
- The farmer with is one of the larger 12 inch tall figures (c.30cm including the base).
- The charming figure is marked to the base with a burnt marked stamp for Huggler-Wyss.
Free delivery in the UK as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees.
If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
Please fill in the information below