For sale is a beautiful Art Deco figurine of a female dancer elegantly designed in 1927 by designer Gustav Oppel.
- The figurine is by the renowned Rosenthal maker, from Selb-Bavaria, Germany.
- The female figure is a "Prayer Dancer" one in a series of six dancers by Gustav Oppel in 1927. Described as an Oriental-dressed dancer in expressive pose, with her hands uplifted to the sky, standing on a round plinth.
- The figures were hand painted and this one has warm orange-red highlights to her skirt, fingers and the features of her face.
- The figure is fully marked to the base with the Rosenthal makers mark for 1938 and original label.
- On the base it is marked GO for Gustav Oppel, with the green factory stamp and model number incised, 1505.
*Rosenthal was established as a decorating studio by Phillip Rosenthal (1855-1937) in Selb, Bavaria, in 1879. Ten years later he opened a factory to manufacture his own ceramics for decoration. He employed well-known designers and modellers, and from around 1907 the company made porcelain figures its speciality, starting with Art Nouveau items. Art deco designs were made from 1924-1939 and were the cutting edge of modern taste.
*Reference: Art Deco, living with the Art Deco Style. (2016) Miller, J.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees.
If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.