For sale is a stylish and functional Swedish kitchen spice shelf / rack from the late 1920's-1930's with drawers made of porcelain by Gustavsberg, Stockholm, Sweden who were established in 1825.
The clean, simple and decorative blue and white is a typically understated design from the early 1930's. The artistic design of the porcelain spice drawers were from Wilhelm Kåge (1889–1960), who first became known in Sweden for his colourful posters during the 1910's. Between 1914 and 1917, he began designing colourful graphic posters for theatres and exhibitions, becoming one of the first Swedish designers to use posters as a medium for communication.
Kåge was sought out to join Gustavsberg in 1917 and became their artistic director to add flair to their functional tableware items. This spice shelf has 14 porcelain drawers designed by Kåge who from 1929 utilised "Pyro" an oven-safe porcelain in the production and expansion of their range.
- 14 drawers (of two sizes) made of porcelain, with integral handles, in the shape of a stylised / inverted shell.
- The porcelain has a lovely patina and crazing at nearly 100 years of age.
- Stamped to the base of each drawer, Gustavsberg, DEK.1. with the anchor mark.
- Large drawers to the top and bottom rows, which are interchangeable.
- Wooden painted frame displaying layers of different paint since the 1930s including green, blue, white. Mounting holes at the top of the wooden frame or small legs to sit on a counter-top.
- Each draw denoting the contents:
- Top Shelf: Kaffe / Coffee, Risgryn / Rice, Socker / Sugar, Salt
- Middle Shelf: Karde-mumma / Cardamon, Nej'Likor / Cloves, Kanel / Cinamon, Krydd-peppar / Allspice, Ingefära / Ginger, Vit-Peppar / White Pepper.
- Bottom Shelf: Mjol / Flour, Havre-Gryn / Oats, Frukt / Fruit, Potatis-Mjol / Potato flour
- One of the draws (as shown in the photograph) has damage to the rear corner, but remains functional.
The Scandinavian wall mounted spice shelf is 90 years of age and a stylish and functional piece of kitchenalia designed in 1930's simple and clean lines.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees.
If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
Please fill in the information below