For sale from W&W Antiques is a beautiful pair of strongly designed German Arts & Crafts / Jugendstil brass candlesticks c. 1910-13, designed by Ignatius Taschner (1871-1913).
- The candlesticks have a segmented jugendstil design with a hexagonal or honeycomb raised base section, providing symmetry. The candlestick stems are in ribbed graduated steps to a flat large 8 sided plate surrounding the candle holder. These are broad and stable in design (deceptively about equal in height and width) and make a clear arts and craft / secessionist / jugendstil design statement with many reflective surfaces to make the most of candle light.
- They are crafted in four distinct sections of body pulled together by a central tie and bolt.
- Taschner was a German sculptor, medalist, graphic designer and illustrator.
- He studied from 1889 at the Akademie der Bildenden Künste in Munich. In 1903 Taschner became a lecturer at the Royal Arts and Crafts School in Breslau (now Wroclaw). By 1905 he had established a studio in Berlin, where he worked mainly as an architectural sculptor for new buildings by Ludwig Hoffmann.
- These distinctive German designed candlesticks are a beautiful example of his stylistic work in the German Arts and Crafts.
- Stamp marked on the bottom with the Marabou / Stork brand, which was the artist's stork in a triangle / monogram and GES. GESCH. (registered trademark, protected by law).
A beautiful, simple but strong symmetry in this distinctive jugendstil design. Candlesticks ready to be used in any setting.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees.
If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
Please fill in the information below