For sale are a beautiful carved set of Arts & Crafts Movement long handled fire bellows in the manner of The Simpsons of Kendal / Handicrafts workshop / A W S Simpson dated 1908.
- These fire bellows are of great quality craftsmanship and are a highly decorative and attractive set with their long handles, interlaced Celtic design motif, woven leatherwork and brass nozzle.
- The intricate carving of Celtic revival interlacing/strapwork/knotwork* and two mythical beasts are marked for 1908 at the top of the bellows joining the long-handle.
- It has been reported that around 1908-1914 Arthur Simpson was influenced by the Scottish revivalists after earlier influence from designer and architect C.F.A Voysey (including designing his lakeland house) influencing Celtic interlaced designs on items and furniture.
- The original leatherwork is in an intricate weave joining the brass nozzle to the oak body of the fire bellows as shown in the photographs and is similar to other bellows from The Simpsons of Kendal.
- The handle has two loops of leather to close the bellows and hang them on the wall as shown in 'The Handicrafts' workshop showroom where no fewer than eight sets of bellows are shown in Fig 13 (also Fig: 15, 17, 112 & 117)*
- The fire bellows are in good antique condition, fully functioning with the leather to both the bellows and nozzle in good working order with minimal wear or marks.
Just cleaned and waxed and ready for their next Arts & Crafts Movement home.
*The Simpsons of Kendal, Craftsmen in Wood 1885 – 1952 by Eleanor Davidson, published 1978.
**The Beautiful Furniture of The Simpsons of Kendal by Hugh Wright, published 2011.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees. If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.