For sale is an early 18th Century, strong and robustedly built survivor from 1732.
- This large Swedish oval shaped travelling chest is a testament to its maker some 288 years ago in rural Sweden.
- The heavy pine travel chest has been built in a reinforced manner with iron strapwork, fastening loops and handle, much as you see on more familiar 19th and 20th Century travel trunks made of leather.
- The chest is decorated with traditional folk art motifs with a warm brown background colour overlaid with floral decoration on all surfaces except the base. The paint in the traditional style of rural craftsman adorning all the surfaces with floral motifs and naturalistic patterns which are faded by wear, use and age.
- Rosmålning is a style of Scandinavian decorative painting on wood that uses stylised flower ornamentation, predominantly primary and secondary colours, scrollwork, lining and geometric elements, often in flowing patterns.
- This travel chest has some lovely notations including, stylised painted love Hearts, heart shaped ironwork lock escutcheon plate and flower-head repeat motifs around the reinforced top and bottom edge to the chest.
- The chest is in strong condition, with an age-worn patina throughout. There is no key for the lock.
A lovely nearly 300 year old travel chest from rural Sweden.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees.
If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.