For sale are three wonderful Swedish original paint, patinated storage bowls with lids and original paint from the late 1700's to early 1800's.
- The large bowl is decorated with charming blue and warm red stripes to the lid and bowl edge and the chunky squat button handle for the lid is decorated AL from the original owner. Inside the lid is written Anna, so it is likely that perhaps AL, was Anna the original owner.
- The original paint has worn around the bowl and lid showing the wood grain beneath. These lidded storage bowls for food, butter, tobacco or in the smaller ones snuff. These beautiful rural bowls often have locking lids like the large and small ones here. The locking mechanism is a simple pair of large and small tabs carved to the lid that slot under the track to the lip of the bowl and it rotates to lock/un-lock. Often as the wood has dried out over the decades and if someone forces it then they sometimes develop cracks at the this section of the bowl. This one has had a crack and has been stabilised previous to our ownership but is in good conditon throughout and a large size for these type of bowls.
- The Medium bowl is in a lovely worn teal or baltic blue colour with original paint from the late 18th into the 19th century. Like the all of these bowls it has a beautiful faded patina that creates very tactile objects indeed.
- This bowl and the smaller one both have rectangular carved/raised handles to the lid, this is the only one of the trio without a turning lock mechanism, although the lid fits snuggly into place.
- This has also has wear to the original paint and a crack that has been stabilised but is in good functional condition. On all of these bowls the antique condition at circa 200-250 years of age means that they are in good condition for the use/wear and purpose they were intended for in rural and farming households of Sweden.
- The Small bowl is unpainted and has been nicely turned with a beautiful patina and working locking lid as described for the large one.
Large red & blue bowl: 23cm diameter x 10cm depth
Medium blue bowl: 14cm diameter x 9cm depth
Small wooden bowl: 11cm diameter x 8cm depth
These three bowls are a lovely set of sizes, faded and worn colours and design and craftsmanship. Each one designed for a functional purpose and still going strong after two centuries.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees. If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
Please fill in the information below