For sale is a simply stunning Gothic Revival Ecclesiastical cabinet on stand from the late 18th Century. This cabinet has an immense amount of craftsmanship that was likely only the preserve of the senior clergy.
This beautiful celebration of craftsmanship as architecture for the divine is a superb piece of great quality made for a higher ranking clergy member such as a bishop in the Roman Catholic church. Most likely to be European of origin from France or Flemish / Belgium from the Napoleonic period when religious upheaval was occurring.
Where to start on the superb decorative features, story and carving which adorn this piece which includes from the pinnacle of the arch:
- The ogee arch pediment with a foliate finial, crockets and cluster column pinnacles surmounted by gryphons, above a pointed arch moulded door with fenestrage carved panels, the spandrel carved with two roundels containing a cardinal's galero and the initials H A , flanked by leaf carved columns with architectural niches containing figures of saints, opening to a void shelf interior; the stand with a frieze dated 1797 and with a pair of angels holding a cartouche, above a drawer carved with flower roundels, raised on chip-carved square legs joined by an undertier. A poppyhead/figurehead with entwinned decoration to the top.
- The materials used look to be a combination of oak and walnut throughout for ease of carving
- Flanked by two cluster columns topped with a Griffon on each, the griffin being a Christian symbol of divine power and a guardian of the divine
- Ecclesiastical heraldry features in the first section of the arched door with the Galero hat and high number of tassels represented for a senior clergy member such as a bishop thought to be initial H.A or H.M
- The main door has a large central rosette as a focal point beneath the arch with the initials and ecclesiastical heraldry
- In columns either side of the main arched door are two carved saints or religious figures. The left hand one looks to be a man, possibly St Denis of Paris holding his head and a female saint to the right side with one hand behind her back
- Carved ecclesiastical shields with latin cross marks are present in three locations centrally, in the top of the arch of the door, a single angel to the centre above the main rosette on the door. There is also a pair of angels in a section above the draw front panel (with interlinked rosettes) flying either side of a shield and latin cross with 1797 carved to either side of them
- The carving to the front, sides and stand has moorish and gothic arches/tracery, architectural pillars and cluster columns/spires, butressed castellations, rosettes, cresting crockets, Acanthus leaf carving, trefoils and quatrefoils
It is lovely cabinet of useful decorative purpose being both narrow, tall and not too deep to serve a range of locations. The cabinet and stand fit well together the stand having two runners to guide the top and are in good antique condition at circa 220 years of age with a lovely age-worn patina as shown in the images.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees. If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
Please fill in the information below