For sale is a beautiful original paint, wooden, sliding-lid box or 'Timplåda' with decoration of Dalarna inspired kurbits from the early to mid 19th Century.
- This original paint wooden box from circa 1825-60 has a beautiful folk painted sliding lid with polychrome floral decoration, in places this central style of design is so called or attributed to Tunamåleri / painting from Tuna but usually in blue on blue.
- These boxes were used as storage with sliding lid “timplåda”, meaning drawer/box (låda) used for bits and pieces or for storing candles.
- The attractive antique box is rectangular with a sliding lid of softwood likely pine. The bottom surface is attached from below with wooden dowels to secure the baseboard. The sides joined by slotting together with dove-tail cuts in profile.
- The lid itself is bevelled with the raised surface framing the decorative kurbits painting of real impact.
- The box edge is bevelled, within which a groove is cut out to house the sliding lid, which has a small turned bun handle.
- Exterior paint to the surrounds in a lovely faded slatey/blue-grey, the sliding lid is framed by a warm orange/red with repeat pattern border.
- The central panel being decorated with dark bold floral ornamentation. The decorative pattern on the lid has five pumpkin shaped pr stylised folk flowers painted in black, blue and white against the light blue frieze all framed in warm red/orange.
The attractive folk art painted box is in great condition given its utility and service from over 170 years of age.
A lovely and charismatic antique item of Swedish rural folk art.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees.
If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
Please fill in the information below