For sale is a wonderful original paint writing slope / skrivpulpet with marbling and rosmålning decoration from circa 1795-1826.
- The charming writing slope sits on elegant legs with curved decorative design between them on each side.
- *The beautiful original paint is possibly a faded blue/black from Hälsingland, Central Sweden with darker 'farmer marbling' carefully worked to each surface then decorated with matching red highlights to the edges. The worn red eges framing the writing box and rosmålning / floral decoration to all surfaces except the back.
- A main red flower extended on the main writing surface, with pairs of flowers on each side to the writing slope.
Two red ones on the front and a pair of red and white ones to each side.
- The writing slope is hinged with original handmade ironwork and lock escutcheon (no key).
- Inside the lid, it is monogrammed, B.C.A.D, 1826, and this has been over-painted on top of M.E.D presumably passed from one generation to the next from the late 18th into early 19th Century.
- The farmers in the 18th and 19th Century in Northern Sweden were wealthy from selling wood and flax. They expressed their wealth in large farmhouses with beautifully decorated interiors, painted furniture and skilfully decorated bridal gifts.
*Ref: Scandianvian painted decor (1990) J. Innes.
A simple, skilful and charming Swedish folk art writing slope in original paint at circa 220 years of age.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees.
If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
Please fill in the information below