For sale is a hand hammered/punched art metalwork oval dish from renowned Artist and Art Metal Worker Hugh Wallis of Altrincham.
- The dish is hand punched to form the depth and decorated with a lovely hand-hammered finish prevalent of the arts and crafts movement, skills and design. This elongated dish has additional decoration interspersed with the punch marks to the base of the bowl.
- The the wide lip is decorated with a HW trademark repeat design of triple-punch marks and chevron marks to the whole rim.
- The dish is in good condition and is most likely to be of polished pewter although HW expertise and pioneering work was also in a range of metals and combinations.
- Punch stamped HW as shown in the photographs for Hugh Wallis.
- Hugh Wallis was based from Altrincham, near Manchester in the North-West of England, an artist and art metal worker of much renowned from the Arts & Crafts Movement in England.
-*The last image shows the elongated dish alongside the smaller round pewter dishes that W&W Antiques have for sale, this listing is for the oval elongated dish only, but do contact us if you are interested in more than one item for combined postage.
The punch marked and chevron design is also thought to have been utilised by the Keswick School on the edge of some items and Margaret Thompson identifies that this almost certainly was from a design created by Hugh Wallis. Likely to have been known from the Keswick School exhibiting with the Home Arts and Industries Association, and an exchange of current trends and developments between the art metalworkers.
*Reference: Page 43, Thompson, M. (2005) Hugh Wallis: Artist and Art Metal Worker.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees.
If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
Please fill in the information below