For sale is a beautiful folk art decorated, table box with robust decorative iron strapwork from rural craftspeople in central Sweden on the Norwegian border from the late 18th early 19th Century.
- A typical Jämtland lidded box in its shape and construction with attractive wear from use and bevelled edges to the lid and foot.
- The box widens from the base to the lid and has some carefully thought out construction using dovetail joints to secure the sections. It rests on an widened base giving the box a lovely balance in its design.
- Dated late 18th, early 19th Century, from the Jämtland region of central Sweden, with the white painted rosmålning on the lid. The folk furniture culture of Jämtland is known as one of the foremost regions for Swedish folk craftsmanship. The farmers in the 18th and 19th Century in Northern Sweden were wealthy from selling wood and flax. They expressed their wealth in large farmhouses with beautifully decorated interiors, painted furniture and skilfully decorated bridal gifts.
- The attractive folk painted box has a hinged lid with lovely original hand forged fittings including ironwork strap hinges, decorative reinforcements and lock mechanism. The pressure lock has an attractive original working key as shown in the images.
- The box is of pine construction with original faded blue highly decorative paint typical of these folk art boxes with floral motifs and naturalistic patterns worn by age. Rosmålning is a style of Scandinavian decorative painting on wood that uses stylised flower ornamentation, predominantly primary and secondary colours, scrollwork, lining and geometric elements, often in flowing patterns.
- These Jämtland boxes were often bridal or dowry boxes like three noted in our sold archives at www.wandwantiques.com from c.1800, 1812 and 1827.
Ready for decorative use for another 200+ years.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees. If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
Please fill in the information below