For sale is beautiful small Swedish 'Folk Art' bridal / dowry chest (writing box shape) from the last quarter of the 18th Century. This bridal gift/love token or dowry with original blue-black paint has some of the best quality rosmålning decoration we have seen from this period on a small table box. The painter shows clear evidence of some considerable skill and expertise in the planning of the heart shaped wreath and bird.
- A beautiful small sloping pine box with bevelled base edge and lid raised on small turned feet.
- The box background colour is a beautiful faded blue-black characteristic most probably from the Hälsingland region of Sweden from 1770-1800.
- The lid has a most beautiful heart shaped wreath as a design motif to the sloping lid encapsulating a bird clasping a small twig/branch. The symbolism is evident from a period when dowry gifts were highly valued and showcased a significant investment and commitment as part of the celebration.
- After the marriage pledge had been made, men often gifted betrothal boxes like these to their fiancées containing gifts like gloves, a shawl or a hymnal. Similar boxes are represented in the Nordic Museum.
- The front frieze / panel has rosmålning decoration to either side of the lock iron strapwork. The side panels are also painted with rosmålning, one side remains but the other has worn.
- The box has an internal raised shelf for writing implements and ink as evidenced by the marks within.
- Original ironwork hinges with internal decoration, strapwork and lock escutcheon (no lock mechanism or key).
- Wear and tear throughout which is to be expected for a box of circa 240+ years from the Gustavian era. It remains in solid working condition with beautiful original paint and decoration, age-worn with knocks and marks, evidence of old woodworm to some surfaces but remains solid and well built.
A decorative age-worn love token from 18th Century, rural Sweden.
Free delivery in the mainland UK as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees. If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
Please fill in the information below