For sale is beautiful Swedish 'Folk Art' bridal / dowry box (writing box shape) from the 18th Century, with original paint blue-black marbling, red edges and internal rosmålning decoration.
- A beautiful pine box with bevelled base edge and Rococo-esque decoration to the rear corner sections in fretwork wood made to replicate ironwork.
- The lid has a raised / bevelled / frieze panel to the lid, which may have had a set of initials painted on this, as often 18th Century boxes of this nature had applied.
- Marked internally with the initials of ANN-1789-HAD for the couple commemorated for their marriage/dowry by the original paint to the inside of the lid over a white background with naive and attractive floral rosmålning.
- The box has an internal raised compartment/shelf for writing implements and ink.
- Original ironwork strapwork and lock escutcheon.
- The box background colour is a blue-black marbling to the external sides with Rococo style decoration in red and the fretwork decoration to the rear. The bevelled edging to the foot of the box is red/white marbled around the base.
- Wear and tear as expected for a box of circa 230+ years from the Gustavian era with Rococo decoration. It remains in solid working condition in original paint.
A decorative age-worn love token from 18th Century, rural Sweden.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees. If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
Please fill in the information below