For sale is a beautiful large antique woven Swedish coverlet / overshot / bedspread in original condition from circa 1840-1880.
- The large woven coverlet likely from Southern Sweden (Halland, Skåne) has a beautiful bold geometric repeat pattern reminiscent of rug patterns and design similar to Welsh blankets or design motifs in kilim rugs from the middle east. This geometric star-like pattern textile is divided into coloured bands with the pattern repeated throughout.
- It is in a lovely, strong colourful design of dark blue, black, green, red, orange, pink and white.
- Dimensions are 210cm x 110cm.
- The condition and colour considering the age is good with only age-related wear. Constructed with a centre seam, made by sewing two pieces together.
- The edge of the textile/cushion has a continuous short fabric fringe to prevent wear to the edge, common to these coverlets in a traditional folk Swedish style. Woven coverlet/blankets like these are also present and similar in style in the US from states like Pennsylvania in the 19th Century with a prevalence of European immigration.
- The loom woven material is wool on a cotton/linen backing.
- Southern Sweden has a strong folk tradition of woven textiles influenced both from migrant Flemish weavers from the low countries and Persian Kilim style rugs from the middle-east.
This is a lovely, characterful antique Scandinavian textile from the mid 19th Century and at 150+ years of age in good condition ready for further decorative service.
*The red four legged stool and the table coverlet in red/light blue are shown for scale and context and are also available from W&W Antiques, but not included in this listing.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees.
If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
Please fill in the information below