For sale is a lovely original paint (green/grey with red highlights) Swedish 'folk art' bowl with a locking lid from the first half of the 19th Century.
- The large bowl is an attractive and decorative shape like a curling stone with deep curved edges.
- The bowl has been originally decorated in a classic Swedish green/grey paint, highlighted with red painted lines which now has a lovely patina appropriate to its age at over 175 years of age. It has an angular stub, worn handle for the twist lock lid.
- The paint has worn around the bowl in prominent places that are handled and tactile and on the base as shown.
- Marked to the base with a monogram DH, and dated 1843.
- These lidded storage bowls were for food, butter, tobacco storage (sometime like a lunch box) or in the smaller ones snuff. These beautiful rural bowls often have locking lids. The locking mechanism is a simple pair of large and small tabs carved to the lid that slot under the track to the lip of the bowl and it rotates to lock/un-lock. Often as the wood has dried out over the decades and if someone forces it then they sometimes develop cracks close to the point that the lock in the lid engages, this one has had a repair at this point as shown in the photographs. It remains in solid workable condition and does not affect its use.
A lovely decorative bowl in a highly attractive colour with lovely wear to the original paintwork.
*the images with accompanying bowls is for scale and context, the other three bowls are also for sale from W&W Antiques. Contact us for combined shipping on a number of items.
Free delivery in the mainland UK as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees. If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
Please fill in the information below