For sale is a beautiful Darvel high comb-backed Windsor chair with characteristic raked and enclosing design from circa 1820-1840/50.
This Scottish vernacular chair from the Irvine Valley in Ayrshire is in great solid antique condition with lovely age-related wear to all the touch points.
- It has an understated level of turning detail, in contrast to the later Victorian chairs in particular to the arm spindles, which have age-related wear on the internal seat side from use.
- The chair is un-marked as many Darvel, Irvine Valley chairs are and has some design elements seen in both John McMath and Hugh Shields stamped chairs. This supports the thinking that woodworkers who assembled the chairs from turned wood elements bought in elements to assemble or 'frame' the chairs specific to each commission and personal requirements.
- The high comb-back has 11 spindles reclining characteristically, which flare out and are capped by a broad curved top rail with stepped ends. The left hand side of the high-comb back (as you look at it) has had an old repair with the left two spindles replaced at some point in its 150+ year lifespan and are not immediately noticeable but are slightly thicker.
- The chair is in birch, with ash used for the pleasing arm bow, with terminus scrolled/notched end-design corresponding with the ears of the seat slab. The arm bow is created with an overlapping / scarf joint and secured in place with two screws.
- The large D-shaped seat is in thick birch (likely from robust American birch which was imported for some thick seat slabs).
- The top is slightly contoured, in particular to the front for knee comfort and slopes to the rear which is one of the distinct elements for Darvel chairs.
- The seat slab has a groove around the edge which delineates a flat border into which the seat spindles are tenoned. The front corners are therefore scrolled outward as ears, mirroring the arm bow above, linked by the turned spindles.
- The critical joints have been secured with small wooden pegs into the base.
- The legs are braced by a H-form stretchers with decorative turning and the rear legs are set-back and raked to support the recline of the high back.
A beautiful design, in a raked posture which make these chairs comfortable and highly decorative. Ready for its next 100+yrs of use.
- Seat height = 44cm / 17 1/4 inches
- Arm to Arm = 56cm / 22 inches
- Back height = 106cm / 41 3/4 inches
- Depth of seat = 41cm / 16 1/4 inches
Contact W&W Antiques for delivery options and pricing in the UK.
International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees.
If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
Please fill in the information below