A decorative and practical Scottish Kist with large single drawer and internal lidded kist locker/candle box and two smaller drawers with turned handles.
These Scottish vernacular kist / chest were a key piece of pragmatic furniture in the home. Utilised in the highlands and lowlands for storage, seating and often a table they were strong and extremely versatile.
- This large mid 19th Century kist is unusual in having a practical lower drawer with two recessed loop brass handles.
- The construction is of softwood and dovetailed sitting on raised bun feet (replacements which locate into original square section recess).
- The front and two side panels have simple decorative fleur-de-lys stencils and the large draw has a dark outline around its edge, the kist looks to have been grain painted to simulate more expensive wood such as oak and with wear, use and sunlight a lovely patina over c.150+ years. The rear is undecorated as shown in the images.
- Original pressed steel carry handles to either end and original hinges ensure that it is easy to lift and manoeuvre.
- The kist is very solid, dry and worm free and is a practical piece of storage or decorative furniture.
Ready for decorative utility in a new home a very practical piece of Scottish vernacular furniture of real practical purpose.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees. If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
Please fill in the information below