For sale is a beautiful Scottish vernacular lowland dresser packed full of functional decorative character. This narrow utilitarian kitchen dresser with simple decorative adornments is from the late-19th Century 1860-1900.
- In the distinctive Scottish lowland dresser form with enclosed curved S-shape end boards to the work surface beneath a four drawer spice rack. These were manufactured by makers in the lowlands during the second half of the 19th Century and early 20th Century and sent all over the Lowlands, Highlands and Islands for use and adaptation in homes*.
- The crest structure of the back to the dresser has a lovely S curved decorative back board at mid-height above the main three frieze drawers and a pair of panel moulded doors, raised on block feet.
- Turned wooden knob handles to each draw and the panelled doors with evidence of 150 years + of use.
- The individual draws make a subtle decorative contrast in colour to the structure of the pine dresser.
- Dressers in the 19th Century were also utilised as a status symbol** in the rural Highland and Lowland home and to show off and display key items such as earthenware pottery, spoon boxes or table ware.
- This vernacular dresser has lived a life of utility and functioned as a key piece of furniture. The dresser has had a small amount of historic woodworm. The dresser remains very solid, useable and highly decorative.
The Swedish painted church chandelier(s) are not included in this listing. Please contact us for multiple items for shipping.
*Cotton, B.D. (2008) Scottish vernacular furniture. Thames & Hudson, Pg 96-103. Dresser and comb back chair in particular page 100.
**Ross Noble, R. (1992) Highland dressers and the process of innovation. Regional furniture, Volume Vi. Fig 3, Pg38.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees. If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.