For sale from W&W Antiques is an attractive and useful Scottish vernacular bannock spade and hanging girdle set.
- These highly useful utensils are a blacksmith-made heart shaped wrought iron bannock spade and is from the first half of the 19th Century. They were used from the beginning of the century and designed for simply turning the bannocks on the girdles. They were predominantly used in the lowlands but also recorded in the more easily accessed areas of the highlands.
- The bannock spade has an attractive and decorative looped end to the handle for hanging.
- The wrought iron, folding and hanging girdle was a hot iron plate suspended over the fire for cooking bannocks in particular. The loop hanger folds flat and also has a small latch to secure it in place upright when in use.
- Both in solid, robust antique iron and perfectly usable today over an open fire. They make a particular attractive pair hung on the wall.
- Bannock spade: 50cm (Length) x 13cm (Wide)
- Girdle: 36cm (Wide) x 24cm (Tall with handle up / suspended)
Ready for a new life in a new home after 170+ years of utility.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees. If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
*The images shown alongside a set of engineers drawers are for context and scale only, please contact us for combined shipping for multiple items.
Please fill in the information below