For sale from W&W Antiques is a beautiful and impressive, joined chair from circa 1790-1820 with a deep colour-worn patina to the Elm.
- A large proportioned, comfortable, robust and heavy Scottish vernacular armchair (possibly from the lowlands, collected from Highland Perthshire).
- The chair uprights indicate that it was previously fielded or solid panel-backed having likely been adapted and modernised in the Georgian period from a solid back design with three cross bars (evidence remaining in the uprights) into a more fashionable design influenced by Chippendale / Hepplewhite in the second half of the 18th Century.
- The country-made wrights back splat is a Hepplewhite influenced ~ wheatsheaf / pierced vase / baluster-shaped vertical panel and crowned with a Chippendale influenced top rail with ‘ear’ terminals being set on the top of the one-piece uprights.
- Beautifully swept/curved vertical uprights and rear legs in one-piece
- The Elm arms are a beautiful serpentine shape, with a flat scrolled arm design supported by robust ogee-shaped ‘stump’ arms as seen on many Scottish joined chairs.
- A great example of the characteristic narrowing profile of Scottish legs, tapered on the inner and rear faces only providing a wide and solid stance to the chair.
- Bevelled edge original one-piece Elm nailed on seat.
- The chair has lived a life over 200+ years and has evidence of historic woodworm to the rear stretcher and some of the large seat rails (at a solid framed depth of 4.5 cm / 1.75" inches)
- The central cross stretcher has been replaced, sympathetically and matched / conserved by a professional antique furniture restorer.
- The joined chair is of pegged construction it has marks, wear and tear from use and continual service. It is in good solid antique condition and is large and robustly made having endured with little impact due to the quality of the construction and well made nature of this Scottish vernacular chair
- The large armchair shows the remnants of original dark stain and a deep attractive colour to the wood.
Ready for further decorative utility and a new home.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees.
If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
Please fill in the information below