For sale is a beautiful Scottish vernacular Lowland Dresser packed full of subtle character. This utilitarian kitchen dresser is from the mid-19th Century and spent the majority of the last Century on the isle of Arran in a farmhouse.
- Distinctive Scottish Lowland Dresser form with enclosed curved S-shape end boards to the work surface beneath a four drawer spice rack. These were manufactured by makers in the second half of the 19th Century and early 20th Century and sent all over the Lowlands, Highlands and Islands for use and adaptation in homes*.
- The structure of the back to the dresser at mid-height above three frieze drawers and a pair of panel moulded doors, raised on turned feet (replacements).
- Ebonised / painted, turned wooden knob handles to each draw. Two original metal twist locks to the panelled doors with evidence of 170 years + of use.
- The individual stained draws (possibly in Ash) along with the ebonised handles make a subtle decorative contrast in colour to the structure of the pine dresser.
- The dresser has not been waxed and remains to the main structure dry in a provincial / country or rustic fashion.
- Dressers in the 19th Century were also utilised as a status symbol** in the rural Highland and Lowland home and to show off and display key items such as earthenware pottery, spoon boxes or table ware.
- This vernacular dresser has lived a life of great utility and functioned as a key piece of furniture. The dresser has had historic woodworm, treated throughout and previously suffered from being on damp stone floors. The dresser remains solid, useable and highly decorative.
*Cotton, B.D. (2008) Scottish vernacular furniture. Thames & Hudson, Pg 96-103. Dresser and comb back chair in particular page 100.
**Ross Noble, R. (1992) Highland dressers and the process of innovation. Regional furniture, Volume Vi. Fig 3, Pg38.
The Scottish spongeware and earthenware pottery and Comb-back chair are not included in this listing for sale and are presented for scale and context only. Please contact us for multiple items for shipping.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees. If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
Please fill in the information below