For sale is a beautiful and decorative Scottish vernacular spoon and candle box from the first half of the 19th Century c.1830-50.
- This beautiful vernacular Celtic knotwork spoon / candle box are amongst the most decorative of Scottish vernacular items* with elaborate intricate motifs.
- This lovely Scottish wall mounted or free standing storage box which would have sat on a kitchen dresser or kist for use in storing horn spoons or candles. Horn spoons were preferred by Scots to metal counterparts and to knives and forks.
- The front panel has a highly decorative Celtic interlace or knotwork fretwork carving and is lighter in colour and may be made of Sycamore.
- The top edge to the front panel and crest to the back have an elaborate decorative shape, often seen on early 19th Scottish brass trivets and Georgian items. The body of the spoon box unusually has a deep rich colour and looks to be mahogany and the sides have an attractive s-curve to them and a hole in the back plate for wall mounting if preferred. Otherwise the spoon box sits solidly on an extended and bevelled foot giving it a beautiful balance.
- The back plate has flat head brass screws and interestingly some pencil marks for an alternate original decorative design in a plainer design.
- The construction of the box is slotted together (the front fretwork slots into channels).
A beautiful and rare Scottish Folk Art spoon and candle box, ready for further decorative utility.
*Cotton, B.D. (2008) Scottish Vernacular Furniture, Thames & Hudson Ltd. p277-278.
**Note: The large horn spoon and side table shown in the images are not included in this listing and are for scale and context only. This listing is for a single Scottish spoon box only.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees. If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
Please fill in the information below