For sale is a beautiful late 19th Century ‘Victorian-type' Darvel high comb-backed Windsor chair c. 1860-1903.
- This Scottish vernacular chair is attributed to the maker 'Hugh Shields & Son' (of the same name) likely around 1880/90 from their premises in Newmilns, The Irvine Valley
- Hugh Shields was one of only a few known makers of Irvine valley Windsor chairs in Newmilns, the next village to the west of Darvel. He trained with John McMath and developed his chair design, becoming a specialist in elaborate turnings of a very precise execution as shown in the design of this particular chair
- The elaborate turning detail to the arm bow terminal support spindles, legs and H-stretchers were later Victorian precise additions to the decoration of these vernacular chairs
- A curved Ash arm bow with end finials and constructed from two pieces meeting in an overlapping scarf joint
- Darvel chair have a very comfortable, raked and enclosed comb design with strong / heavy and robust construction
- This chair has 10 high back spindles indicating a later Victorian chair along with the fashionable elaborate turnings
- Large D-shaped seat slab of thick birch (likely imported American birch) into which the legs and all spindles socket (not through)
- The seat is contoured to the front for knee comfort and slopes to the rear supported by the splayed rear legs to counter balance
- The legs look to have been shortened slightly at the feet by one decorative section in relation to other late Victorian turned legs seen on this style of Darvel chair from Hugh Shields and likely due to wear and tear
- No woodworm or notable damage beyond age-related wear and tear from c.140 years+
A beautiful design, executed in a robust and comfortable manner due to the raked stance ready for its next 100 years of utility.
Free delivery in the mainland UK as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees. If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
Please fill in the information below