This is a beautiful late 19th century candle stand or country stool with beautiful patina and is a good example of English Country furniture.
- The rectangular top is made of solid elm and has each of the four corners chamfered away for a smoother appearance.
- The legs are are of narrow proportions suitable for a candle stand.
- The legs are shaped crudely, splaying slightly outwards.
- The four angled legs are all tenoned through the elm top and have been secured using small wedge pieces inserted into the top of the protruding legs to hold them in place. Often these were glued or had leather or paper washers to secure the fit.
- The candle stand has the initials J.F. in an italic font with a small gothic star shape in the top, to the base is a date mark of 1882.
- The legs are all secure and the stand is in good condition with antique patina, wear and age-related marks.
- The stool is a beautiful and practical decorative item, ready to provide another c.140yrs of utility.
* The 18th Century wrought iron stump-stake candle stick is not included with the stool, it is for context and scale only. It is available separately from W&W Antiques.
Free delivery in the mainland UK as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees. If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.