For sale is a large example of a Swedish 'folk art' rosmålning painted locking lid bowl.
- The large bowl is decorated with attractive dark green aged paint and a central warm coloured red and orange floral decoration. It has scrolls to the lid and bowl edge and with a button handle for the lid.
- The bowl may be earlier with some original blue paint beneath on the base and it looks to have been painted in the late 19th early 20th Century.
- The paint has worn around the bowl in places and on the base as shown.
- These lidded storage bowls were for food, butter, tobacco or in the smaller ones snuff. These beautiful rural bowls often have locking lids. The locking mechanism is a simple pair of large and small tabs carved to the lid that slot under the track to the lip of the bowl and it rotates to lock/un-lock. Often as the wood has dried out over the decades and if someone forces it then they sometimes develop cracks this one does not have this in contrast to many.
- Often the bowls have an area on the edge that is flattened allowing them to be stood upright for decoration as shown in the photos, at this point the paint has worn in a couple of patches clearly shown in the photographs.
A lovely decorative bowl with clear skill and craft in the paintwork.
*the image with an accompanying blue bowl is for scale and context, the other bowl is also for sale from W&W Antiques.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees.
If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.