*Please contact us prior to purchase, regarding payment method and delivery.
For sale is a fabulous Gillows of Lancaster, mahogany Victorian Partner Writing Table/Desk with leather bound top of the highest quality.
- Stamped Gillows-Lancaster a double writing table in beautiful Mahogany from circa 1874, with serial number L2819.
*reference - A survey of marks, labels and stamps used on Gillow and Waring & Gillow furniture 1770-1960 by Susan Stuart (1998).
- Beautiful patination and age-related wear and use to the tooled and gilt bordered leather writing surface.
- Cented corners, three freize drawers either side of the long side all with working locks and keys.
- The stunning table is raised on classic Gillows supports with the original heavy duty swivel castors, and is easily moved.
- The partners desk is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship and is in great original condition, with leather having been replaced at some point during the tables life-span.
Gillows of Lancaster and London or Gillow & Co was an English furniture firm founded around 1730, renowned for its quality. Gillows Furniture Marks
A large portion of Gillows furniture is unstamped and the association can be established by studying the design and construction. The Gillows stamp can be found on tops of drawer edges, under the table tops and on the back legs of chairs. The firm’s cabinet makers also pencilled their signatures under the drawer linings. These can be referenced in the comprehensive Gillows archives. The printed label ‘Gillow & Taylor’ was the earliest mark. ‘Gillows Lancaster’ stamp was used from 1780s to around 1850s/60s (which is applicable to this table around 1860), when it was changed to ‘Gillow’. After the 1860s the mark was made up of a capital L and a serial number. Late Victorian items had the ‘Gillow & Co’ stamp, later changed to ‘Waring & Gillow’ on a small brass plate.
*Please contact us prior to purchase, regarding payment.
Height : 76.5 cm
Length : 198 cm
Diameter : 106 cm
Height to kneeboard = 60 cms
Drawers - width = 56.5cm, depth circa 8cm internal, front to back = 48.5cm
Collection preferred from York, north Yorkshire. Delivery can be arranged in the UK, please contact us for a quotation.
If you are interested in additional items, please contact us for your requirements.
Please fill in the information below