W & W Antiques
Web site: https://www.wandwantiques.com/
For sale is a beautifully decorative and warm coloured Moresque designed wall mirror from the late 19th century or early 20th century circa 1885-1914.
During the Arts and Crafts movement and the Aesthetic Movement, decorative items with 'exotic' or oriental design became prominent and popular from Anglo-Indian, Anglo-Japanese, Moorish, Chinese and East African enhanced in popularity by Brighton Pavillion and Liberty retailing items from the early 1880s to Victorian consumers.
- The mirror described as a Moorish or 'Moresque' style in a rich warm mahogany or walnut with a hint of the gothic shape to the lower outer frame section of the mirror.
- The mirror is set within four rectangular panel sections of mashrabiya turned latticework, and the top panel is below a set of upright turned small pillars.
- A mashrabiya is an element of architecture found in Arabic residences and is a type of carved / turned wood latticework. The mashrabiya is an element of traditional Arabic architecture used since the Middle ages up to the mid-20th century.
- The rectangular bevelled plate mirror is surrounded by a graded attractive rebate. The mirror is in good condition with some small elements of deterioration due to age and wear. It is probable that the mirror was retailed via Liberty & Co as part of their exotic ranges that developed from the late 1880's and sold for many years into the 20th Century. The mirror frame has small areas of geometric decoration and inlay. The top section also has four small ebonised finial either side of the central carved scrollwork.
- There is a hanging bracket to the rear and evidence of original hanging loop locations.
An attractive mirror in a warm colour with an elegant design, ready to be hung as a usable decorative period item.
Free delivery in the UK as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees.
If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.