W & W Antiques
Web site: https://www.wandwantiques.com/
For sale is a skillfully crafted Arts & Crafts Movement copper and pewter inlay plate from circa 1907-1920.
- The beautiful handcrafted and hand beaten art metalwork plate is decorated with a central wreath of interlocking stylised tri-foliate leaves.
- The edge is banded with interspersed copper and pewter decoration as a repeat pattern over a rolled lip.
- Punch stamped with the monogram HW as shown in the photographs for Hugh Wallis to the edge of the plate surface.
- Hugh Wallis was based from Altrincham, near Manchester in the North-West of England, an artist and art metal worker of much renown from the Arts & Crafts Movement in England.
- This plate showcases the technique he described as 'oxidised/oxydised' copper and pewter inlay as an art metalwork process. This method used skillfully by Hugh Wallis is described in the book about his life and work by Margaret Thompson (on page 44) and a similar example/type shown in the photograph on the same page. It involved inlaying pewter as decoration to the base copper plate.
This is an Arts & Crafts Movement hand crafted plate with great solid design, both simple, usable and beautiful.
Free delivery in the UK as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees.
If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.