W & W Antiques
Web site: https://www.wandwantiques.com/
For sale is a beautifully simple and elegant hand hammered piece of art metalwork from circa 1908-1914. The inkwell is from renowned Artist and Art Metal Worker Hugh Wallis of Altrincham, near Manchester in the North-West of England.
- The large inkwell (at 5 1/2" diameter) is hand hammered to form the depth and is decorated with the distinctive punch marks, a HW trademark as a repeat design of punch marks and chevron marks to the whole rim.
- The polished pewter inkwell has been designed with a lovely pewter inkwell lid continuing the lines of the inkwell in the same pewter and hand hammered finish.
- The pewter inkwell is in good condition and is testament to HW expertise and the quality of his work in a range of metals. The internal ceramic liner has a chip shown to its rim but remains entirely functional and sits hidden by the lid.
- Punch stamped HW to the base as shown in the photographs for Hugh Wallis.
- The last image shows other items for sale from W&W Antiques by HW in pewter and are not included in this sale, but contact us if you are interested in a number of items for combined postage.
The punch marked and chevron design is also thought to have been utilised by the Keswick School on the edge of some items and Margaret Thompson identifies that this almost certainly was from a design created by Hugh Wallis. Likely to have been known from the Keswick School exhibiting with the Home Arts and Industries Association, and an exchange of current trends and developments between the art metalworkers.
*Reference: Page 43, Thompson, M. (2005) Hugh Wallis: Artist and Art Metal Worker.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees.
If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.