W & W Antiques
Web site: https://www.wandwantiques.com/
For sale is a beautifully simple and charming hand hammered piece of art metalwork from renowned Artist and Art Metal Worker Hugh Wallis of Altrincham.
- This particular wide rimmed tray or plate is hand worked delicately to form the depth and is decorated with a lovely hand-hammered finish prevalent of the arts and crafts movement, skills and design.
- The tray is decorated with a broader HW trademark repeat design of double punch marks interspersed between the inside and outside of the larger chevron marks to the whole rim.
- The tray is in good condition and is most likely to be polished pewter although HW expertise and pioneering work in a range of metals, could mean that it is a combination of metals.
- Punch stamped HW as shown in the photographs for Hugh Wallis.
- Hugh Wallis was based from Altrincham, near Manchester in the North-West of England, an artist and art metal worker of much renowned from the Arts & Crafts Movement in England.
- The edge decoration is similar to the wide-rimmed bowl for sale from W&W Antiques, the photographs showing multiple items is for context only (contact us if you are interested in multiple items).
The punch marked and chevron design is also thought to have been utilised by the Keswick School on the edge of some items and Margaret Thompson identifies that this almost certainly was from a design created by Hugh Wallis. Likely to have been known from the Keswick School exhibiting with the Home Arts and Industries Association, and an exchange of current trends and developments between the art metalworkers.
*Reference: Page 43, Thompson, M. (2005) Hugh Wallis: Artist and Art Metal Worker.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees.
If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.