W & W Antiques
Web site: https://www.wandwantiques.com/
For sale is a beautiful Mid-19th Century Norwegian 'Folk Art' geometric carved & lidded tankard c. 1850-1875.
- The staved wooden tankard is covered in decorative, geometric (knife notch-cut "kerbschnitt") carved motifs and designs with intricate swirl rosettes, banding and circular forms worked throughout with skill to the circumference of the tankard body, lid, handle and tri-footed base.
- The hinged lid is also beautifully decorated as shown in the images.
- These geometric design motifs are frequently seen in wooden items from Scandinavia, throughout Norway, Sweden and Denmark. In Norway more prominent in the West and South.
- The staved construction of the tankard is held together with banded strips and is likely to be dark stained birch as one of the readily available wood types utilised in Scandinavia for tine boxes, tankards along with pine for larger vessels.
- The beautiful tankard is in good, solid antique condition for circa 150+ years of age, it is missing a band to the lower section and looks to have some old repairs to the handle. No wood-worm has effected it during its life, in good original condition throughout.
A beautiful Norwegian 'folk art' antique tankard created with great skill in the second half of the 19th Century with a combination of utility, function and decorative design. Ready for a new home.
*The final four images show the tankard alongside a Norwegian tine box also for sale from W&W antiques which is for context and scale only and as is not included in this listing. Please contact us for multiple items and combined shipping.
Free delivery in the mainland UK as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees. If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.