W & W Antiques
Web site: https://www.wandwantiques.com/
For sale from W&W Antiques is a beautiful vernacular Caithness armchair/rocker with brander back from the 1st / 2nd Quarter of the 20th Century from the North of Scotland c. 1910-1940.
- This large decorative armchair rocker has many of the characteristic and idiosyncratic design features associated with this Northern tradition of crofter and wright/furniture chair making.
- These include the recessed plank seat with drying spindle rails in front and behind the main seat section for socks or garments in front of the fire along with the top rail. The attractive chair also has an extended seat rail well beyond the front legs to accommodate the front rail. The top seat back rail extends over the uprights.
- The rocker has lovely curved arms which join to the one piece front leg and arm upright. The rocker has a distinctive brander back with seven ribbed vertical spindles, and curved smooth arms
- The seat has a stamped Cc mark, which has been noted with other Caithness chairs from a Caithness chair maker, which were usually placed under a square cushion, some alongside a paper label noting handmade in Thurso
- The chair is in good solid antique condition with only age related wear and remains of great utility.
The chair is available from W&W Antiques for a life of decorative utility in a new home.
*The first and last four images show a number of items and another Caithness armchair for context/scale and are not included in this listing.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees. If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.